Pneumonia : Causes and Cure
The things we should know about pneumonia-
What is pneumonia?
The bacterial, fungal, or viral infection to the lungs causing mild to severe illness among people of all ages is called pneumonia. It is one of the leading causes of death due to Infection among people especially children under 5 worldwide. With the initiation of the infection, lungs become inflamed and the alveoli start filling up with fluid.
What causes pneumonia in our body?
The main causes of pneumonia are viruses and bacteria which have a tendency to settle in the alveoli, multiply and fill the lung with fluid and pus, making it difficult for a person to breathe. 3MEDS, the best online medicine delivery app points out that Pneumonia is contagious and the germs can be passed on through sneezing, coughing, and touching or sharing objects causing infection.
What are the symptoms associated with pneumonia?
The symptoms of pneumonia are usually confused with those of the flu or cold.
The common symptoms are-
High Fever and Chills.
Cough with rusty green sputum or phlegm.
Difficulty in breathing.
Chest pain that keeps on getting worse.
Vomiting, Nausea, and diarrhea.
Weakness and Fatigue.
Purplish colored skin with poorly oxygenated blood.
Who is at maximum risk?
People who are at risk include -
Children under the age of 5years.
Aged people above 65 years.
People with underlying diseases like asthma, kidney, or liver diseases.
People with weaker immunity due to cancer, HIV AIDS, etc
Kids suffering from Malnutrition.
What are the known types of pneumonia?
There are different types of pneumonia, basically, bacterial, viral, aspiration, fungal and hospital-acquired pneumonia. The signs and symptoms will be similar irrespective of the type and cause.
How can pneumonia be diagnosed?
Doctors suspect pneumonia if they hear a coarseness in voice and heavy breathing in patients.
Along with that, pneumonia can be diagnosed accurately by-
X-rays of the chest to show the affected areas.
CT scan for more detailed information.
A blood test to count white blood cells.
Arterial blood gas (ABG) to read the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels.
Septum analysis to know the origin of pneumonia
What are the treatment procedures?
Depending on the type and severity, the treatment procedures of pneumonia differ -
-Otc medicines like antibiotics, painkillers, etc prescribed by the doctor to reduce fever, pain and coughs. You can buy all necessary medicines and healthcare products at a 23 %discount rate from the 24 hours medicine home delivery app.
-Adequate fluid intake to thin out thick phlegm and mucus and making it easier to cough up.
-Supplemental oxygen supply to ease breathing.
What preventive measures can be taken?
There are two types of vaccines available to prevent the bacterial cause of pneumonia- Prevnar and Pneumovax.
Apart from vaccines, a number of preventive measures can be taken to prevent infection-
- Frequent handwashing is the most important and easy way to prevent infection
- Disinfect objects and surfaces touched frequently but with light smelling disinfectants.
- Avoid close contact with sick people by putting an essential 6 feet distance.
- Don't share food, clothes or other items used.
- Avoiding triggers like smoking which increases symptoms like wheezing and may result in a worse lung function. So it's better to quit smoking before your lung function deteriorates.
- It's important to keep enough essential medications, both prescription and over the counter, to last for at least 30 days or so. Get all your essential medicines at your doorstep from a medical store home delivery.
- Increase your immunity by keeping yourself hydrated and following a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise but in moderation and proper nutrition.