Get rid of stomach gas- a big hindrance in your daily routine life
Gas is the part of normal process of digestion in the digestive system. By means of burping and passing gas, is a normal way to get rid of excess gas. In case gas is trapped in the intestine, it can be incredibly uncomfortable.
Causes of Stomach Gas
Swallowing air when consuming food or drink, is the prime reason. When bacteria ferment carbohydrates to fiber, some starches and some sugars aren’t digested in the small intestine, then gas formation occurs in the large intestine or colon. Certain high- fiber foods cause gas including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and peas. Some of the dietary factors contribute to increased gas such as carbonated beverages, fiber supplements containing psyllium, sugar substitutes or artificial sweeteners and eating habits. Few medical conditions may also induce gas pain or bloating like chronic intestinal disease, small bowel bacterial overgrowth, food intolerance and constipation.
Symptoms of stomach gas
Some of the common symptoms of stomach gas include belching or burping, stomach cramps, stomach bloating or feeling of fullness, chest pains, distention or an increase in abdomen size.
Food Diet to avoid stomach gas
The fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols (FODMAP) is an elimination diet that most of the people tend to follow. It is a difficult diet as most of the food contains these constituents. Examples of FODMAP foods are-
Oligosaccharides- vegetables like asparagus, garlic, leeks, onions and lettuce; grains like barley, rye and wheat; nuts like cashews and pistachios; and legumes like baked beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils and soy beans.
Disaccharides- cow, goat or sheep milk, evaporated milk, ice cream, margarine, yogurt and cheese.
Monosaccharides- fruits like apples, boysenberries, figs, mangoes, pears and watermelon. Even high- fructose corn syrup and honey.
Polyols- fruits like apples, apricots, blackberries, cherries, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums and avocados. Sweeteners like sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol. Also include cauliflower, green pepper, mushrooms and pumpkin.
Natural remedies for prevention of stomach gas
Certain home remedies can help to release trapped gas or prevent it from building up.
- Let out the gas and avoid holding it.
- Pass stool as it releases any gas trapped in the intestine.
- Eating quickly or while moving will cause a person to take in air, leading to gas pain. So, eat slowly by chewing each bite of food 30 times.
- Avoid drinking through straws as it causes a person to swallow air.
- Quit smoking because a range of health issues is related to it.
- Carbonated drinks like sparkling water and sodas must be avoided.
- Eliminate problematic foods like artificial sweeteners, cruciferous vegetables, dairy products, fried foods, garlic, onions, high- fat foods, legumes, spicy foods, prunes or prune juice, fiber drinks and supplements.
- Drink tea made of anise, chamomile, ginger and peppermint
- Chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds. Pregnant and breast- feeding mothers should avoid this remedy.
- Peppermint oil capsules and clove oil are traditionally used remedy to treat digestive complaints.
- Consuming a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water before meals will prevent gas pain and bloating.
- Take probiotic supplement to add beneficial bacteria to gut. One can avail strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus from any best medicine store online in India.
- Exercises, walking or yoga can relax the muscles in the gut.
- Place a hot water bottle or heating pad on the stomach where the pain strikes. This will relax the muscles and reduce the sensation of pain.
Medications for stomach gas
- An over-the-counter (OTC) supplement containing alpha- galactosidase, can help the body break down carbohydrates in vegetables and beans. This is ingested before meals.
- A lactose supplement may help the body digest sugar in certain dairy products.
- Take an OTC gas relief medication containing simethicone, like Gas-X.
- Usage of activated charcoal supplement taken before and after meals can prevent trapped gas.
All these medications are recommended to be consumed only under doctor’s consultations. The same can be purchased from any best medicine app in India.
The Bottom Line:
All the above information diet and food to avoid recommendation leaves us with no food to consume. Basically, every food item has its pros and cons. Anything consumed in higher quantity or less will pose a problem. Maintaining a balanced diet with adequate nutrition will keep the body health and prevent any complications