With more than 2 million people falling prey to cancer each year, we must become more aware of the ways in which cancer may affect a person, the bodily changes, signs, and profiles of the disease if we want to save ourselves from the clutches of the disease, early diagnosis and treatment of the ailment also makes it much more viable for the person to recover. We must also remember that a cancer patient must not be reduced to the status of a patient, they deserve a life as fruitful as the life of anyone else’s.
Direct cancer of the bone is rare, less than 1% of cancer primarily arise from the skeletal system. This cancer, however, causes as much harm as any other. This is a complete guide by 3MEDS, anti-cancer medicine supplier Delhi.
What is Bone Cancer?
The formation of a tumor on the bone may sometimes be malignant, this destroys the tissues and may further transfer the disease to different parts of the body. Most cancers are often benign, which means that they are not cancerous, therefore they do not spread to other parts of the body, that does not bar from them being painful, especially if it is on the spine and pressing on the nerves.
The two main types of bone cancer are :
• Primary Bone Cancer – Primary bone cancer, also known as sarcoma, this type of cancer starts in the bone, directly in the skeletal system.
The primary bone cancer types include –
This occurs in the bone marrow, causing tumors in various bones. This kind of cancer generally appears in older adults.
This appears at the apex of long bones, around the arms, legs, hips, bones, shoulder, or other locations. It may appear in young adults and adolescents.
This sort of cancer affects the pelvic region, thighs, shoulders, in the subchondral tissue present between the bones.
This arises in the softer kind of tissues, especially in the bones of children.
• Secondary Bone Cancer – Secondary bone cancer occurs when cancerous cells arising from another part of the body affects the bones.
Symptoms of Bone Cancer
The symptoms of bone cancer are:
• Consistent and prodding pain in the affected region. The pain may become even worse with time.
• Pain and stiffness in the joints of the bones, which is can be the sign of a tumor in the joints.
• Weak bones which fracture quite easily.
• The formation of lumps and bumps, arising in the affected areas.
These may be accompanied by –
• Unintended loss of weight
• Fever and chills that might be unexplained
• Tiredness and fatigue
Bone Cancer Causes
It is not clearly known, what causes bone cancer, however certain things may be responsible for the formation of the tumour –
• A few DNA mutations that may change the normal cells to become cancerous cells.
• The dysfunction of the oncogenes or the tumor suppressor genes.
• Abnormality in cell growth, which continues to live and thrive.
• High doses or contact with radiation of any kind.
There are a few risk factors related to the formation of bone cancer –
• Genetic mutations in the RB1 gene, this is hereditary. Thus if there is someone with a family history of cancer they might have a chance of developing the disease.
• Radiation therapy, through which the cartilages might be affected.
• Piaget’s disease which leads to the abnormal growth an regrowth of the bones,
• Someone who has recently gone through a bone marrow transplant.
• Having deep injuries in the bone may cause a growth or a tumor to form in the region.
Bone cancer is typically divided into 4 stages, it is a progressive disorder like any other cancer –
1. Stage 1: The tumor cannot spread from the bones, since it is only about 8cm. It is most curable in this stage.
2. Stage 2: The tumor in spite of not progressing in size has a chance of affecting other tissues.
3. Stage 3: Cancer starts appearing in more than one region in the same bone.
4. Stage 4: Cancer starts to spread and multiply in other tissues.
A doctor may use blood tests, a biopsy, bone scan, X-rays, MRI, or CT scan to diagnose the disease.
The treatment action is decided upon after making sure the grade and stage of the disease and the survival factors and the vitality of the patient.
Regular bone tumors may be treated with surgical procedures, malignant tumors on the other hand can be treated with chemotherapy medications, pain killers, bisphosphonate to maintain the bones and cytotoxic drugs. For affordable cancer medicines online in Delhi visit, 3MEDS. Besides radiation therapy and surgery may also be used.
We must keep our hearts and minds strong and fight to recover from cancer, acquire preventive habits not only omit risk but save lives. As Aristotle once said, "Man is a social animal", as a species we are connected to each other for our survival and well being. So we must support every last person who wants to live. For with love and support, humans are capable of defeating every impediment, yes, even cancer.